Warrington 17 Port Sunlight 3 (Snr)

Warrington played their fourth match of the 2014 season in the Liverpool & District League when they hosted Port Sunlight. Warrington with a strong line up started the first quarter attacking the shallow end. Warrington started well with a well taken goal from Ian Musgrove. However Port Sunlight took advantage of some slack marking at 8 metres and scored two long range goals. Warrington trailed 2-1 but no need to panic with team talk instructions for a half bath press and double marking the Port Sunlight centre forward.

The second quarter started with a goal to Port Sunlight not the start we wanted. Warrington started their come back with a goal from Tom Hadley followed by a goal from the excellent Addison Brown. Addison quick scored again and Ian Musgrove made it four goals to Warrington without reply to make it 5-3 to the home side. Port Sunlight had a player excluded and Warrington promptly scored from the man up with a goal from Ian Musgrove. With Warrington looking comfortable we started to introduce the younger players with Tom Costello playing faultlessly. Addison Brown continued to look a class act with his third goal of the game as Port Sunlight struggled to contain his quick movement. Warrington won the quarter 6-1 and led the game 7-3.

The third quarter saw Warrington attack the shallow end and started well with a well taken goal by Connor Dean, really great to see Connor back in the Warrington team. Addison Brown was still prolific in attack and scored his fourth of the game as Warrington started to cruise. More junior players were added to the mix as Sam Cooper and new recruit Blue Wheeldon showed they could step up to senior level. A further goal from Matt Webber saw Warrington finish the third quarter 10-3 in front.

The fourth and final quarter saw another Port Sunlight player excluded for 20 seconds with Warrington again converting the man up with a Tom Hadley goal. Tom ‘the hammer’ Hadley quickly scored his third goal of the game to make it 12-3. Then with four minutes left to play Blue Wheeldon scored a great goal from the right wing. Further goals from Connor Dean and Peter Burke saw he score move to 15-3. A penalty was then awarded to Warrington and converted by Tom Hadley and Warrington’s final goal came ironically from man of the match Addison Brown, the final score 17-3 to Warrington.

It was a great performance from a Warrington team with some great passing and movement and the junior boys growing in confidence by the match. Warrington will have a tough test next week when they play Chester at home.

Warrington’s team included: Neil Musgrove, Tom Costello, Ian Musgrove (3), Matt Webber (1), Tom Hadley (4), Addison Brown (5), Paul Daintith, Connor Dean, Sam Cooper, Peter Burke, Blue Wheeldon (1).