Seniors Warrington 7 Chester 9

Warrington’s seniors took on Chester in the Liverpool and District with eight players including Tim Mainwaring playing his first senior game. It was clear at the start of the game that exclusion fouls needed to be kept to a minimum starting with only nine players. The first quarter saw Chester move into a 0-2 lead but Warrington defending the deep made it 1-2 with a goal from Tom Hadley. The exclusion fouls started to build with Warrington giving away three to Chester’s two.  The quarter ended 1-2 and a satisfactory performance by Warrington. We then attacked the deep in the second quarter and within two minutes Warrington drew level with a goal from Tom Hadley. With three and a half minutes left Chester scored but moments later had a player excluded and Warrington converted the man up with Tom Hadley scoring his third goal of the game. With less than two minutes to go Warrington conceded another goal to make it 3-4 but again equalised this time James Williams scoring. The quarter ended 4-4 but Chester conceded three exclusion fouls to Warrington’s one.  The third quarter started well for Warrington with Tom Hadley scoring his fourth goal of the game after just 15 seconds. Another goal by James Williams saw Warrington push on and lead 6-4. But then Chester hit back with a goal and shortly after another exclusion foul given against Warrington. Chester called a time out to organise their man up but Warrington defended well to keep the score 6-5. Then disaster, Chester scoring three quick goals towards the end of the quarter as Warrington started to look tired, to take a 6-8 lead. That was the turning point of the match. In the fourth quarter we put Tim Mainwaring (16) in who played some really excellent water polo and executed a great pass to Tom Hadley to score his fifth goal and make it 7-8. The game became very tense with neither team wanting to give anything away. With still six minutes to go Warrington gave away another exclusion and Chester converted the man up to make it 7-9. Still with five minutes on the clock Warrington had time to attack the deep and rescue something from the game. But the experienced Chester team were successful in closing the game down